Whether you’re building a gun or maintaining it, getting the right tools to do the job will save you time and get things done fast.
There are many types of firearm out there and of course you want to modify couple things here and there, which separates yourself from the average shooters who don’t mess with any gunsmith tasks.
If you’re looking for the best armorer tool kit, here are few must haves.
Best Armorer Tool Kit For The Money
Dremel 200 Speed Rotary Took Kit
When ever you need to sand something down, polish receivers, drill holes or cut parts, then you need a Dremel tool to make your life easier.
For AR15 rifles you don’t really need this tool, but for guns like AK47 this tool is extremely helpful to remove parts on your own without spending money at the local gun shop.
- Two-speed simplicity is ideal for multiple applications & materials
- Two speed control allows you to set your speed at 15,000 or 35,000 rpm with a flip of a switch
- Cool-running ball bearing construction for smooth and quiet operation
- Comes with reuseable storage case and 160 accessories
Wheeler Engineering Screw Driver Kit
Screwdrivers are the most used gunsmithing tools. Made from S2 tool steel and hardened to 56-58 Rockwell “C”, these bits last long and is a great set of lifesaver tools you need at your fingertips.
The package contains flat heads, torx and allen key to cover a wide range of usage include scope rings, bases, recoil pads, rail pieces and others.
- VERSATILE: Wheeler’s engineers measured the screws on over one hundred modern and antique firearms to make sure that we offered bits for every situation
- FEATURES: (54) hollow-ground flat bits, (15) specialty bits, (8) Allen, (4) Phillips, (3) Torx, (1) 2 ¼ shaft extension and (1) hex-to-square drive adapter
- EASE OF USE: Hollow-ground bits have a concave shape that allows for insertion all the way into the screw slot for maximum contact
- INCLUDES: 2 non-slip, over molded plastic handles with a convenient hinged storage case
Real Avid Smart Bench Block – Punch Pins & Mallet Included
This is an indispensable tool in your toolbox. It’s extremely useful when disassembling a gun without losing small parts such as screws and roll pins.
The Real Avid Smart Bench Block is a non-slip and magnetic tool that you can use it for rifle, shotguns and handguns without having small parts running all over the place.
Any time when you’re punching out small pins and working on trigger parts, this is a must have tool to get to make your life easier.
- ESSENTIAL GUNSMITHING TOOLS designed with Real Avid’s ingenuity: Accu-Punch Hammer and STANDARD PUNCHES Set paired up with innovative Smart Bench Block
- GUNSMITHING HAMMER: adjust to the situation with interchangeable hammer heads: easily switch between steel, brass, rubber, and nylon; grip confidently thanks to ergonomic, rubberized handle – all to...
- STANDARD, FLAT TIP PIN PUNCHES FOR ANY GUN: hardened steel, nickel plated flat tip punches for driving out solid pins
- Includes 9/32, 1/4, 7/32, 3/16, 5/32, 9/64, 1/8, 3/32, 5/64, 1/16" nickel-plated, hardened steel pin punches
Tipton Ultra Gun Vise
The portable gun vise for an awesome option for people who don’t want to build a massive workbench.
The Tipton gun vise works with various firearm, and different modules can be quickly rearranged anywhere along the rail.
Built with non-slip glass filled nylon vise and dual clamp technology rigidly hold any gun in place, so you can work on your guns comfortably.
Perfect for scope mounting, parts upgrade, gun painting, indoor zeroing. However, don’t use this to when torquing the barrel nut because it’s not a stable platform for that.
- DIMENSIONS: 32.5 inch L x 11 inch W x 10.5 inch
- EASE OF USE: All 4 feet are non-slip and independently adjustable, the tool and accessory trays are removable and the entire vise mounts directly to the benchtop (hardware not included)
- VERSATILITY: Ball and socket articulating clamp pads allow for the pads to adapt to any firearm’s surface with height and length adjustable front and rear clamps
- NON-DESTRUCTIVE: Non marring, glass filled nylon vise/clamp construction
Check out here: Best AR15 Cleaning Tool Kits
This is a complete armorer’s kit for AR15 users including AR specific wrench, punch set, vise blocks and other essential tools. In addition, it comes with a durable storage case that keeps everything organized and neatly stored.
The AR15 is a simple rifle design and it’s fairly easy to put it together. You can certainly put together most of the rifle parts by hand, but some parts definitely require tools to make your life easier such as roll pin punch, torque wrench, cleaning kit and an receiver vise block.
Practical Applications – Do You Really Need All of It?
Depend on how complex your gun project is, having the right tools in your garage never hurt. The difference between a professional shooter and an amateur shooter are the curiosity and interest to take stuff apart or fix things on their own.
If you don’t enjoy setting up a work bench and lay out all the tools to work on your guns, then this is probably not for you.
For those who constantly change parts, clean, modify and try new things. Having a high quality set of firearm armorer tools should be your gift to help you enjoy your hobby more and make things a little easier.
What To Look For In An Armorer Tool Kit
You probably can’t get everything you need in one purchase, so you need to collect some common tools used on a gun work bench such as punch pins, torque wrench, pliers, cleaning tools, vice block and other items like that.
In case you can’t find what you’re looking for from those packaged deals here are some of the best tools you can buy
Many gun parts are hold together using a roll pin. Just look around… most pistol parts are held in place with roll pins, AR15 gas block requires a roll pin to remove and install.
Punch pins are not something you use once and forget, if you take apart guns a lot even just for deep cleaning, then having a set of roll pin punches should definitely be on the list.
Brass & Nylon Mallet Hammer
A gunsmith mallet hammer is all you need. You don’t need something large, just enough to handle things that needed to be punched in.
Nylon face is non-marring and it’s great for alignment. The ones with brass face is used for driving pins and punches.
This is a must have in your tool bags from assembling the lower AR15 receiver to modifying a stamped AK receiver.
Torque Wrench – Precision Torque
There are two different types of torque wrenches for gun parts. One is used for small screws used on gun parts, scope mounts and it’s generally measured in inch-pound. The Wheeler Adjustable Torque Wrench is the best on the market right now you can buy on Amazon.
- Accuracy: +/- 2 inch/pounds up to 40 inch/pounds; 40 – 65 is +/- 5%
- Ease of use: Apply, repeatable, accurate torque settings to scope rings, guard screws, windage screws and base screws, which aids in accuracy and decreases the opportunity for problems in the field
- Reliable: Torque adjustment range from 10 inch/pounds to 65 inch/pounds
- Durable: Bits are made of S2 tool steel and hardened to 56-58 Rockwell “C”
The other is used for critical components such as barrel assembly, castle nut, flash hiders and other parts that require foot-pound torque. Generally, you would use a 1/3″ drive click torque wrench to get the job done and you can get it below:
- Includes storage case and product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
Check out: Best Gunsmith Torque Wrench For Gun Parts
Screwdriver Bits For Gun Mintenance
Most gun parts now use torx and allen screws. So having a whole set really helps when you need them. In addition, you can use it for other tasks as well.
The Wheeler Engineering Screw Driver Kit has lot of it included in the package when you purchase.
Vice Clamp For Heavy Torque Tasks
A vice clamp is something you have to have if you already invested in a gunsmith workbench. This will help you hold things in place while you work on them.
All you need is a small one you can bolted down on the workbench or the ones you can spot tight on a firm platform. The Yost LV-4 4-1/2″ home vise is a great option.
This is a must have if you’re working on removing or torquing barrel parts that require ft-pound level torque
- Home Work Shop Vise, woodworking, assembly, general maintenance.
- Jaw width: 4-1/2" (11.4CM) x Jaw opening: 3" (7.6CM) x Throat depth: 2.4" (6.1CM)
- Holds 0. 6" D to 1. 85" D pipes and tubes (1. 5CM x 4. 7CM)
- 30, 000 PSI cast iron construction, blue power coat finish
Cleaning Gun Mat – Protect Your Table & Keep Residues Away
Just get any gun cleaning mat that keeps oil and residues away from your lovely kitchen table. Here is one we recommend by Falko Tactical.
- 𝗗𝗼𝘂𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴: you will receive a gun pad that is 2x thicker than other bench mats in the market. It will protect your rifle and table from scratches and it...
- AR15 Exploded View: crystal clear exploded diagram of the ar15 parts
- 𝗗𝗲𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗴𝘂𝗻 𝗰𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴:large enough to disassemble your rifle, pistol, and shotgun. The gun mat is 36 inches long. It grips to the...
- 𝗞𝗲𝗲𝗽 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗰𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗻: the mat surface is oil resistant, waterproof, and easy to clean, so you don't have to worry about spilling a bit of...
Working on guns is fun and it’s certainly very rewarding when you see your final product. Gunsmith work isn’t welding or anything you see on the show Sons of Guns.
Most of it you can do at home without making any mess or loud noises unless you’re doing some heavy modifications that requires you to cut, drill, sand or use a dremel rotary tool.
For most people working on regular firearms, screwdrivers and couple roll pin punches are enough to get the job done.
Screwdrivers with various bit, mallet, torque wrench are the top 3 things you need in your armorer tool bag.
For an all in one package, the Real Avid Master Tool Kit is the best way to go especially for AR owners.