Carry light everywhere you go as a self-defense tool is even more practical and popular than before.
If you're shopping for the best self-defense blinding flashlight, you need a bright handheld light that is easy to operate.
We have reviewed a list of tactical EDC light best suited for self-defense with enough blinding light to do what you have to do in a defensive situation.
Let's check it out...
4 Best Self Defense Blinding Flashlights
Use it for anything!
Olight M2R Warrior Pro - Best Overall
Olight M2R Warrior Pro is our overall favorite handheld tactical light. In many ways, it's the new standard for an EDC flashlight that features a slim body and all major core features.
M2R Pro is versatile for handheld use as well as mounting on weapons via a magnetic remote pressure switch.
- It features a single 5000mAh 21700 USB chargeable lithium battery
- The maximum output and distance are increased by 20% and 44% separately, reaching 1800 lumens and 300 meters.
- Aggressive strike bezel with PVD coating is easy to break glass windows or defend yourself when in an emergency situation.
- Rear tail cap protector prevents accidential light discharge
- Three-dimensional outface for a better texture; newly design tail switch can make it upside down
- Momentary on/off doesn't always feel immediate or positive when wearing gloves
Use 10% OFF Code: OLIGHTSTORE10
Surefire P2X Fury DFT - Best Runner Up
Surefire P2X Fury DFT is the newest upgrade to accept 18650 battery technology in order to support the higher lumen output to 1500, which the old CR123A can't.
Intellibeam model is also available here, that automatically and seamlessly adjusts light output from 15 to 1, 500 lumens depending on Environmental conditions
This simple tail cap activated light makes it a great self defense flashlight from the World's best illumination tool maker - Surefire
- Dual fuel battery technology allows for power by either two 123A lithium batteries or a single 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Virtually indestructible ultra-high-output LED generates 1,100 lumens of blinding light with two 123A batteries and 1,500* lumens with the included SF18650B micro USB lithium ion rechargeable battery
- Mil-Spec hard anodized aluminum body, tempered window & O-ring seals make light rugged and durable
- Press tailcap slightly for momentary-on, or fully press and click for constant-on
- The knurling (serrated texture) isn't rough enough for firm grip with a wet / slippery hand
Olight Warrior X Pro - Best Throw
Olight Warrior X Pro is one of the best thrower type of flashlight that you can use for
- 90,000 candela makes it a ultimate thrower
- Using a customized 5000mAh 21700 lithium battery, the Warrior X Pro produces an incredible 2,250-lumen output and 600-meter throw allowing you to see in any harsh situation
- MCC3 USB charging cable which holds 2A current for 100% 2X charging speed than Warrior X
- Sturdy Heavy-duty build with a thick IPX8-rated aluminum alloy body, making it tough enough to endure a harsh 3-meter drop test
- Use on firearm as weapon light
- Too big to carry in your pocket
- No Strobe or SOS
Use 10% OFF Code: OLIGHTSTORE10
NITECORE P12GTS - Alternative
- Maximum output of 1800 lumens for up to 247 yards of throw.
- 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes (strobe, beacon, SOS)
- Direct access to Turbo & Ultralow modes
- Integrated power indicator
- Multiple battery options with a maximum runtime up to 250 hours.
- Waterproof in accordance with IPX8 & impact resistant to 1 meter
How many lumens does a self defense flashlight need?
A good amount of lumen is always good for self defense depend on the situation. 120 lumen or more is required to be effective for self defense. However, as the technology advances, the higher lumen lights up to 2000 lumens are way more blinding for self defense.
However, too much lumen in a tight space can also blind the defender if not used carefully.
Can a flashlight blind someone?
Of course, a flashlight can blind someone, and a High lumen & high candela light can dazzle someone, stresses their retina, and temporarily wash out their usable field of view.
Being able to see is the key for survival and to perform basic human tasks, which why a light that can blind someone attacking you is great for self defense.
How many lumens will permanently blind you?
Visible light is not sufficient enough to cause permanent blindness, regardless of the intensity. However, Short wavelength UVC, X-Ray and Gramma can.
80 - 100 lumens is sufficient to cause temporary flash blindness in low light, and 200 lumens can cause temporary blindness in daylight.
Anything over 500 or 1000 lumens is plenty to temporarily blind someone with an overwhelming amount of light for tactical use.
Is Strike Bezel Necessary For A Self Defense Flashlight
Check Out: Best Tactical Flashlight With Strike Bezel
Strike bezel is definitely effective for up close physical combat. The sharp bezel will hurt depend on how the strike was performed.
For more personal defense hand to hand combat, please check out this video below:
As the content creator of badassoptic.com, My background in the firearms industry and shooting sports gives me the experience to recommend tried and true products and keep away subpar ones.