In this Olight PL 3 Valkyrie rechargeable review, let's check out its core specs, beam pattern, control ergonomics and the new charging port.
We appreciate Olight for sending us this light to test its beam pattern, the new mounting design and useful output intensity based on max output, and the guide will go over what I liked and dislike that may help you make a purchase decision.
Let's check it out...
Olight PL 3 R Core Specs
- Beam Distance: 205 meters
- Max. Performance: 1500 lumens
- Candela: 10200 cd with 5700K cool white beam
- Reflector: Smooth
- Laser: None
- Strobe: Yes
- Switch: Side Switch
- Battery: USB Rechargeable
- Waterproof: IPX6
- Weight: 3.77 oz
- Head Diameter (in): 1.44"
- Length (in): 3.19 in
- LED: CREE XHP 35 HI NW
Use 10% OFF - BADASSOPTIC10
The Olight PL 3 Valkyrie R comes with the following:
- Olight PL 3 R x 1
- Picatinny (Mil-std-1913) Rail Mount x 1
- Glock Rail Key X 1
- T6/T8 Socket Head Wrench x 1
- User Manual x 1
The Olight PL 3 R pistol light boasts a customizable mount position, enabling the control switch to be placed nearer or farther from the trigger guard, making it adaptable for various firearms that were once incompatible.
Unlike earlier Olight pistol weapon lights, this model lacks a quick-detach lever, eliminating the need to handle the QD lever's sharp edges. This feature also simplifies the process for holster manufacturers to create holsters compatible with pistols equipped with the Olight PL 3.
Beam Pattern, Lumens & Candela
The Olight PL 3 R can output 1500 lumens on a max battery charge to provide bright illumination indoor and outdoor. The beam pattern is ultimately the same as Olight PL 3.
The 10500 candela provides the user a maximum effective range up to 80 meters of useable light to ID targets in the dark.
Light Beam Color Tint
Olight PL 3 Valkyrie R boasts a significantly brighter Neutral White color tint light beam, but it's slightly lower in terms of the specs on paper than the PL 3 that runs on CR123A, and it's unnoticeable
The Neutral White Tint Light Beam offers several advantages, including:
- Superior color accuracy during low-light conditions
- Increased visual comfort when projecting the light beam through fog
- Reduced glare when utilized in foggy environments
- Enhanced color contrast under low-light situations
Activation Switch Ergonomics
The Olight PL 3 R's light activation employs the same pressure switch button found in other Olight pistol lights, such as the BALDR PRO R, PL 2, and Valkyrie Turbo.
The available light modes include:
- 300-lumen, 1000 lumen and 1,500-lumen setting (double-tap to toggle lumen intensity)
- Strobe mode (press and hold one switch, then tap the other to activate)
While it doesn't utilize the same toggle switch as the Surefire X300U or Streamlight TLR 1 HL, it is functional and just requires some practice to become familiar with.
For momentary activation, press and hold the button all the way down, then release.
To keep the light constantly on, simply give the switch a quick tap, and it will remain illuminated instead of turning off.
Use 10% OFF Code - BADASSOPTIC10
The PL 3 R comes with a brand new USB charging port.
The heat protection system will drop the lumen intensity, and it also prolonged the battery life.
At first the 1500 lumen mode runs for about 2 mins, then it drops down to 40% for 36 mins, then drops down to 20% for 8.5 mins
For 1000 lumen mode, the light runs for about 12 mins on full intensity, then drops down to 60% for 23 mins, then drops down to 30% for 8.5 mins
On low 300 lumen mode, the light runs at 100% for 100 mins without any interruption.
Based on this spec, the PL 3 offers a significant improved on the 1000 lumen mode to run the light on high intensity for 12 mins, and that is much longer than the previous Olight PL Pro for low light training.
The light is made with aerospace grade aluminum and the overall feel and matt black coating finish is very solid.
Adjustable Position Mount
The light comes with an picatinny 1939 and Glock mount keys to fit a variety of firearms.
Olight PL 3 features a 3 position thumb screw mount instead of the QD lever mount. I found a couple positive things about this mount design:
- Low profile
- No sharp edges sticking out
- Adjustable positions based on rail space
The Olight PL 3 R 's recharging feature is the newest feature added. The lumen and candela intensity has slight difference than the CR123A model, but it's not noticeable. The rechargeable feature is the main focus of the light to provide user unlimited amount of low light training without having to buy batteries.
- High lumen & candela outputs are outstanding for positive target identification
- Adjustable mount positions works on various pistol frame sizes
- No sharp QD lever getting in the way
- 1000 lumen mode runs slightly longer (12 mins) on 100% output intensity
- Can't immediately get the light to work in emergency if it requires charging
- Light intensity drops after a set period of time
- It's easy to lose the small GL and M1913 mount tab
If you are interested in the PL 3 Valkyrie R, please use our special coupon code (BADASSOPTIC10) for 10% OFF
As the content creator of badassoptic.com, My background in the firearms industry and shooting sports gives me the experience to recommend tried and true products and keep away subpar ones.