The FN SCAR 17 is one of the most iconic 308 battle rifles on the planet for its modularity, light recoil, and accuracy.
If you’re shopping for the best scopes for FN SCAR 17 in 2020 here are some great options to consider:
- Aimpoint Micro – CQB use
- Trijicon RMR – Offset rds
- Trijicon ACOG 3.5X – For mid range
- US Optic 1-6X FFP – For CQB & mid range
- Nightforce ATACR 4-16X50 – Best for MK20
- Leupold 3-18X – For long range
With a standard 16″ SCAR 17, the rifle can shoot accurately between 200 to 500 yards with long-range precision scopes.
With the recent release of SCAR 20S for special operation and caliber expansion into 6.5 Creedmoor. We’re excited to see how this next-gen SCAR performs can deliver ~350+ yards than 308 while retaining more effective velocity and ~25% less drop.
We have tested a few options and separated them into 3 categories:
- Close range
- Medium range
At the end of the post, you will understand what specific optic specs you should be looking for optimized for SCAR 17s & SCAR 20s.
Let’s see what these optics can do for your SCAR…
6 Best FN SCAR 17 Optics [Legacy & New 2020]
BEST PRECISION SCOPE FOR 17S
|Leupold MARK 6 3-18X44mm||CHECK ON OPTICSPLANET|
BEST CQB COMBAT OPTIC
|AIMPOINT MICRO H-2 [2 MOA]||CHECK ON OPTICSPLANET|
BEST CQB OFFSET OPTIC
|TRIJICON RMR TYPE 2 [3.25 MOA]||CHECK ON OPTICSPLANET|
BEST FIXED POWER RUN&GUN OPTIC
|TRIJICON ACOG 3.5X35 [7.62mm CHEVRON]||CHECK ON OPTICSPLANET|
BEST CQB & MID RANGE HYBRID FOR 17S
|US OPTICS TS 1-6X24mm[Illuminated MIL Reticle]||CHECK ON OPTICSPLANET|
BEST FOR THE MONEY & Performance
|CHECK ON OPTICSPLANET|
Check out other long-range scopes for 308 rifles
Aimpoint Micro H & T Series – Toughest CQB Red Dot
The Aimpoint Micro H1/2 & T1/2 are probably still the king of the micro red dot market for its superior durability, battery life, and accuracy even when used on sharp recoil impulsive rifles like the SCAR.
What we liked about the Aimpoint Micro is for its ultimate durability for a fixed power 1X optic for close & medium range engagement using its 2 MOA dot.
But there is MORE!
Since this optic is low profile and its favored by tons of people in the community on various combat style rifles, adding a red dot magnifier behind it instantly turns your SCAR into a close-range & medium range rifle. If you choose to…
- Advanced objective lens system for better light transmission and unmatched optical clarity
- 2 MOA dot with 12 settings for low light and daylight brightness
- Standard Mount for Picatinny and Weaver Mount Included
- Up to 5 years of continuous operation using one CR2032 battery (included)
Check Out: Best Red Dot Sight For Fighting Rifles
Trijicon RMR Type 2 – Best For CQB Offset Canted Shooting
This tiny and super rugged micro red dot built with 7075 T6 forged aluminum is the gold standard for the micro red dot industry. It’s the best optic for pistols, shotguns, and rifles like the SCAR.
The reason we picked this optic is for its durability and size, which is perfect for anyone looking for an offset red backup sight on their SCAR 17 heavy.
If run and gun is your shooting range routine with the SCAR, then this is it for you.
But here is the best part…
If you plan on mounting a long-range scope like the Leupold Mark 6 3-18X44 on the SCAR, but also want the ability to cant the rifle for close-range shots, then the Trijicon RMR is also the solution.
- 3.25 moa adjustable led rmr: Features an automatic brightness mode and easy push buttons for eight adjustable brightness settings including 2 nv and 1 super bright
- Dependable electronic design: Ruggedized battery contacts and electronics ensure performance and survivability in harsh environments
- Unique patented housing shape: Military-grade aluminum alloy forged housing shape diverts force of impact away from the lens, greatly increasing its durability. Extreme temperatures high or low will...
- Battery automatically adjusts aiming dot to ambient lighting conditions after 16.5 hours. Battery life is efficient when used at 21 degree Celsius at setting 4 of 8. Bullet drop compensator not...
Read Trijicon SRO Reviews Here
Trijicon ACOG 3.5X – Best Fixed Power Mid Range Optic
Trijicon ACOG 3.5X is the latest ACOG upgrade from its original 4X32 model with significant eye relief improvement.
What we like about the ACOG is its superior durability and its undeniable real world combat proven performance since 1987.
Related Content: ACOG 3.5X vs 4X
Shock-resistant internals proven to hold zero from 22LR to .50BMG and everything in between. So anyone who is afraid of their SCAR breaking their scope should have peace of mind when using this optic.
When mounting the ACOG on SCAR 17 it is best for medium-range engagement with its generous fixed eye relief distance of 2.39″ and an amazing 10mm exit pupil, which is absolutely great under super low light conditions.
Also there are multiple reticles options available. In our testing the simple Chevron reticle for the 308/7.62 is the model you should get.
On top of that, please get an aftermarket SCAR rated ACOG scope mount from Geissele Precision, or LaRue for the tightest mounting solution to ensure absolutely no optic movement shifts during recoil for max accuracy.
- BATTERY-FREE ILLUMINATION: Features a tritium/fiber optic illuminated reticle that automatically adjusts the brightness based on available light
- RUGGED ALUMINUM-ALLOY HOUSING: Forged 7075-T6 aircraft-aluminum-alloy housing provides for a nearly indestructible sighting system
- “BOTH EYES OPEN” DESIGN: The ACOG can be used as a CQB sight when shooting “both eyes open,” utilizing the Bindon Aiming Concept
- COMBAT PROVEN: No other magnifed optic has been used more in combat than the ACOG
U.S Optics TS 1-6X FFP – Best SCAR 17 LPVO
If the Aimpoint Micro with a magnifier seems like NOT your cup of tea on the SCAR 17, but you still like to shoot close & mid-range, then the LPVO is the next optic solution you should take a look at.
LPVO has been extremely popular in the rifle shooting world, and it’s a hybrid scope between 1X power and magnified optic. The U.S. Optics has been making custom rifle optics for almost 29 years, and their 1-6X second focal plane is a great scope for anyone shooting close and mid-range targets.
The reticle comes with a 2 MOA center red dot for fast target acquisition with the help of battery-powered illumination. This scope is best for night light use since the 4mm exit pupil diameter isn’t optimal in low light when it’s at 6X.
You probably have heard about the Vortex Razor HD 1-6X a lot because they advertise on a massive level to the civilian market, but when it comes to the real deal check out the U.S. Optics 1-6X.
- 30 mm Tube
- Digital Red Riflescope TS-6X-MS2-USO
NightForce ATACR 4-16X50 FFP – Best For SCAR 20S Long Range
Why we trust NightForce so much – The NightForce ATACR line of scope produces “bright, virtually perfect image…immune from recoil and just about anything else” according to skilled shooters and our own experiences.
This 7075 T6 hard anodized scope body and its ED glass have distinguished the ATACR as the ultimate precision instrument for long range shooting among military, tactical professional and ranger goers.
The 16X magnification is a perfect magnification level for long-distance shooting without the image being zoomed in too much for easier target tracking.
First focal plane MOA or MIL-C reticles are just right for anyone doing any precision shooting.
On top of that this 50mm objective lens on a 34mm tube body gives the shooter outstanding low light performance & 110 MOA/30Mils of total elevation adjustment, which is plenty for most long range distances up to 500 or 800 yards when using the SCAR 20S’ free float cold forged hammer 20″ 1:12 twist barrel.
- 34mm main tube
- First focal plane
- Tactical MIL turrets
- Waterproof and fogproof
Leupold Mark 6 3-18X44 – Lighter & Compact LR Scope For SCAR 17s
Why this might be the best – Following the release of Leupold Mark 5HD, the MARK 6 3.6-18X is a more compact version of the Mark 5HD with just the right amount of magnification ideal for accurate drop-dead accurate shooting. Fits great for SCAR 17 heavy’s overall profile.
Just like anything else, it’s based on SCAR owners’ preferences. When picking between Leupold Mark 6 and the NightForce ATACR, it’s important to understand that they’re very similar in quality.
Both scopes have world-class glass clarity and durability. Elevation and windage adjustments are 0.25 MOA/click also available in the 1/10 MIL dot / click. The side focus parallax adjustment helps shooter adjust focus from any shooting position…
We like the Leupold Mark 6 on the SCAR 17s because it’s only 23.6oz compared to the 33.3 oz NightForce ATACR, which is perfect for non-DMR rifles.
How tough is this American made scope?
All Leupold scopes had to survive over 5000 impacts on the Punisher, Leupold’s recoil testing machine before putting their products on the product shelves.
To put things into perspective, the force of each impact is 3X of a .308 that means the recoil impulse damage we keep hearing about from the SCAR will not affect this optic whatsoever.
Use it with confidence!
- Leupold Model #120721 - Mark 6 3-18x44mm with Front Focal H59 reticle and Matte finish
- 100% Waterproof, fog proof, & shockproof
- M5C2 Turrets - Automatically locks at the zero position and provides 20 Mils of elevation travel in two revolutions of the dial
- Front Focal Plane (FFP) - The reticle magnifies along with the image, so you can estimate range at all magnification settings
Also Check Out: Best Riflescopes for Hard Hitting Calibers
Highest Durability Optic Mount Specifically For SCAR
The SCAR rifle in the 308 platforms have soft perceived recoil but the gun’s forward recoil impulse when its heavy bolt slams forward after a shot has been fired still poses the possibility for scope damage.
We do our best job to only show you the most durable optics such as Aimpoint, Trijicon, NightForce and Leupold.
The next thing we need is a solid mounting platform that can additionally absorb much of the harmonic recoil waves before transferring that energy to the optic.
So that we can prevent the SCAR 17 from damaging optics.
Here are the ones we trust:
- Best Aimpoint Micro mounts – Scalarworks LEAP, LaRue Tactical QD & Geissele Precision
- Leupold MARK 6 & NightForce ATACR– Sphur Precision Mount, Geissele Super Precision SOPMOD certified mounts [Rated For SCAR], Badger Ordnance 34mm scope rings. CHECK OUT: BEST 34MM SCOPE RINGS
- Trijicon ACOG – Geissele Precision ACOG Mount with Keeper Nut [Built with 7075 T6 Aluminum provides 2800 lbs of clamping force + 4 recoil lugs for max rigidity & zero repeatability]
The SCAR 17 is a 308 battle rifle and the FN SCAR 20S is it’s a bigger brother for long-range shooting. This gun has its good and bad, but for the most part this is must-have rifle for people who really love guns.
The SCAR 20s is an SSR (Special Support Rifle) kinda like a DMR. The Leupold Mark 6 & NightForce are a great fit for long-range purposes.
Overall you have a lightweight & compact weapon package that puts a smile on your face!
For Another 308 Rifle: Best Scopes For M1A SOCOM