5 Best Laser Bore Sights - A Helpful Buying Guide
Are you frustrated with zeroing your rifle optic on the range?
In this guide, let's take a look at the best laser bore sight that can help you get that initial zero as close as possible and as fast as possible without wasting time, energy or ammo.
Best Laser Bore Sights For Zeroing Optics In Seconds
Note: A laser bore sight helps you initially zero your reticle as close as to the trajectory of the bullet coming out of the barrel, you still need to reverify the zero with live ammo later.
LaserLyte Universal Laser Boresight (Read More Reviews Here)
If you're zeroing for anything starting at 25 yards, this thing can get the job done with no problem. The point of impact tested with live ammo was about 2-3 MOA off the point of aim.
Remember this won't give you an exact 100% accuracy, only for the initial scope reticle dial.
- Mount On Any Barrel Sizes - Being able to fit on most barrels is an important feature, a wide range of compatibility with its universal adapter kit that covers 223 all the way to 50 cal to sight in any rifle platform for any distance you want
- Instantly Zero Your Optic Without Wasting Ammo - Save time, energy and money for now and in the future with this laser bore sight for mounting a new optic inside your home
- Adapter Kit Included For Pistol Barrel - Zero your pistol red dot sight or laser sight fast inside your home without going to the range
- Simple Laser Activation Switch - Eliminate unnecessary movement on the laser with its external laser activation rotational switch to get you the best reference zero without constant adjusting
Wheeler Professional Universal Bore Sight ( Read More Reviews Here)
It's the most premium quality laser bore sight in comparison to all other brands. Each unit is hand-tuned with perfect calibration mechanism to ensure the best alignment and precision.
While it still yielded about 3 MOA off the point of aim around 60 yards range, it's an exceptional time-saving accessory for a gunsmith who works on multiple long guns a day.
- Green Laser Available For Easier DayTime Use - Increase day time visibility and range with this power green laser to instantly dial your scope alignment outdoor fast
- Magnetic Adapter Compatible With Any Barrel - Use it on any firearm out there with its strong magnetic adapter surface, from handguns to muzzleloaders without insertion compared to the arbor-based system to protect the barrel bore and crown.
- Rugged Packaging To Protect Accuracy - Protect your delicate laser accessory with this rugged case to prevent the laser from losing its calibrated accuracy from the unintended drop, vibration or bump
SiteLite SL-100 ( Read More Reviews Here)
The SL-100 is ideal for regular shooters, competitors, and hunters. With the built-in magnetic arbor insert to provide secure muzzle mounting for consistent accuracy. It's one of the hottest selling lasers boresight on the market that also works up to a 12 GA barrel.
What makes the SiteLite different from others is that it was selected by the U.S. Navy and Marine as one of the small arm zeroing accessories for dead-on accuracy.
But there is more...
This powerful laser can technically go up to 300 yards and that's 3X more than other brands. in addition, the downloadable program in conjunction with the laser bore sight can optimize the attributes of your bullet with the laser.
MidTen Chamber Bore Sight
Recommend this only for a quick rough zero, but definitely not for anything that requires high precision.
The accuracy of this chamber bore sight isn't as great as these arbor style systems because every time when I rechamber it, it gives a different point of aim.
The reason is that tolerance isn't tight enough in order to accommodate varying chamber tolerances. The loose fit causes the laser to be off-center in most cases.
Sightmark Triple Duty Universal ( Read More Reviews Here )
Tested and recommended by the National Tactical Officers Association and North American Hunting Club, this laser bore sight is engineered with precision and accuracy that works on small caliber bore to as large as 12 GA. The package comes in a nice carrying case with instructions booklet and 3 included batteries.
Types of Laser Bore Sights
There are two types of laser bore sights on the market.
- Arbor-based Laser Boresight
- Chamber Fitted Boresight Cartridge
The arbor based system basically inserts into the barrel with a caliber specific adapter attached to the end in order to create two points of contact to center the laser to the bore. The cartridge system is shaped like a bullet that goes into the chamber.
As far as accuracy goes, the cartridge system provides a fast and rough zero, and the arbor based system is generally more accurate at longer distances.
If you understand the tolerance of factory ammo you know that they are made to accommodate a wide range of rifle chambers, therefore a cartridge-style laser bore sight must be made the same way to accommodate most rifle chambers, and every time when you reinsert the cartridge, the laser points at a different spot.
For money-saving purposes, it's better to go with an Arbor-based system because it accepts a wide range of caliber profiles for just $50 -80.
Instead, if you buy chamber specific laser bore sights it will cost you up to $300 or more depending on how many different calibers you have.
Bore Sight Effective Range
A laser bore sight generally can project up to 80 - 100 yards or just a little bit further as long as you can see it. Generally speaking, I only use them for initial zero, and I test real ammo for my final zero.
On our site, we have a full guide on How to Use a Laser Bore Sight to Zero a Scope In 5 Simple Steps here.
Laser Boresight Overview and Recommendation
Zeroing your scope without wasting bunch ammo or time walking down the range back and forth, then you got to get yourself a laser bore sight. It saves time and money is the main reason why you should get it.
It's extremely beneficial for anyone who constantly swap scopes for different applications such as competition shooter and also for long range shooters to quickly dial in the reticle with an initial ball park zero.
Learn more: How to zero a deer rifle scope for hunting
With a laser bore sight, you can quickly setup redial your optic or laser sights as close to the bore as possible, then shoot the minimal amount of bullets at the range to give it a final zero.
Extra Tip: You can also use a laser boresight to help you zero laser sights for pistols and rifle.
We highly recommend the arbor based system such as the SiteLite SL-100 and the Wheeler Pro.
Check Out: Best Long Range Scopes Under $1000