Are you frustrated with zeroing your rifle optic on the range?
Here are the 5 best laser bore sight to help you get that initial zero as close as possible without wasting time, energy or ammo.
Best Laser Bore Sight For Zeroing
Note: A laser bore sight helps you initially zero your reticle as close as to the trajectory of the bullet coming out of the barrel, you still need to reverify the zero with live ammo later.
LaserLyte Universal Laser Boresight - Best Overall
If you're zeroing for anything starting at 25 yards, this laser bore sight can get the job done. The point of impact tested with live ammo was about 2-3 MOA off the point of aim.
Remember this won't give you an exact 100% accuracy, only for the initial scope reticle dial.
- Mount On Any Barrel Sizes - Being able to fit on most barrels is an important feature, a wide range of compatibility with its universal adapter kit that covers 223 all the way to 50 cal to sight in any rifle platform for any distance you want
- Instantly Zero Your Optic Without Wasting Ammo - Save time, energy and money for now and in the future with this laser bore sight for mounting a new optic inside your home
- Adapter Kit Included For Pistol Barrel - Zero your pistol red dot sight or laser sight fast inside your home without going to the range
- Simple Laser Activation Switch - Eliminate unnecessary movement on the laser with its external laser activation rotational switch to get you the best reference zero without constant adjusting
Wheeler Professional Laser Bore Sighter - Smallest Size
This is the smallest accurate laser bore sighter in comparison to all other brands. Each unit is hand-tuned with perfect calibration mechanism to ensure the best alignment and precision.
While it still yielded about 3 MOA off the point of aim around 60 yards range, it's an exceptional time-saving accessory for a gunsmith who works on multiple long guns a day.
- Green Laser Available For Easier DayTime Use - Increase day time visibility and range with this power green laser to instantly dial your scope alignment outdoor fast
- Magnetic Adapter Compatible With Any Barrel - Use it on any firearm out there with its strong magnetic adapter surface, from handguns to muzzleloaders without insertion compared to the arbor-based system to protect the barrel bore and crown.
- Rugged Packaging To Protect Accuracy - Protect your delicate laser accessory with this rugged case to prevent the laser from losing its calibrated accuracy from the unintended drop, vibration or bump
SiteLite SL-100 - Best Precision
The SL-100 is ideal for regular shooters, competitors, and hunters. With the built-in magnetic arbor insert to provide secure muzzle mounting for consistent accuracy. It's one of the hottest selling lasers boresight on the market that also works up to a 12 GA barrel.
What makes the SiteLite different from others is that it was selected by the U.S. Navy and Marine as one of the small arm zeroing accessories for dead-on accuracy.
But there is more...
This powerful laser can technically go up to 300 yards and that's 3X more than other brands. in addition, the downloadable program in conjunction with the laser bore sight can optimize the attributes of your bullet with the laser.
MidTen Chamber Bore Sight - Best For The Money
We recommend this is the best laser bore sight only for a quick rough zero, but definitely not for anything that requires high precision.
The accuracy of this chamber bore sight isn't as great as these arbor style systems because every time when I rechamber it, it gives a different point of aim.
The reason is that tolerance isn't tight enough in order to accommodate varying chamber tolerances. The loose fit causes the laser to be off-center in most cases.
Available in multiple calibers
Sightmark Triple Duty Universal - Best For Shotgun
This is a universal laser fore sight kit tested and recommended by the National Tactical Officers Association and North American Hunting Club.
This product is engineered with precision and accuracy that works on small caliber bore to as large as 12 GA.
The package comes in a nice carrying case with instructions booklet and 3 included batteries.
Types of Laser Bore Sights
There are two types of laser bore sights on the market.
- Arbor-based Laser Boresight
- Chamber Fitted Boresight Cartridge
The arbor based system basically inserts into the barrel with a caliber specific adapter attached to the end in order to create two points of contact to center the laser to the bore. The cartridge system is shaped like a bullet that goes into the chamber.
As far as accuracy goes, the cartridge system provides a fast and rough zero, and the arbor based system is generally more accurate at longer distances.
If you understand the tolerance of factory ammo you know that they are made to accommodate a wide range of rifle chambers, therefore a cartridge-style laser bore sight must be made the same way to accommodate most rifle chambers, and every time when you reinsert the cartridge, the laser points at a different spot.
For money-saving purposes, it's better to go with an Arbor-based system because it accepts a wide range of caliber profiles for just $50 -80.
Instead, if you buy chamber specific laser bore sights it will cost you up to $300 or more depending on how many different calibers you have.
Bore Sight Effective Range
A laser bore sight generally can project up to 80 - 100 yards or just a little bit further as long as you can see it. Generally speaking, I only use them for initial zero, and I test real ammo for my final zero.
On our site, we have a full guide on How to Use a Laser Bore Sight to Zero a Scope In 5 Simple Steps here.
Laser Boresight Overview and Recommendation
The laser bore sight only helps to establish a rough initial zero. The path of the laser is never the same as the ballistic trajectory of the bullet.
We highly recommend the arbor based system such as the SiteLite SL-100 and the Wheeler Pro.
Yes, it saves time and bullets when zeroing, but the shooter still need to verify the zero with live ammo.
The laser bore sight is helpful for anyone who frequently swap rifle scopes for different applications that need to quickly re-zero the rifle.
As the content creator of badassoptic.com, My background in the firearms industry and shooting sports gives me the experience to recommend tried and true products and keep away subpar ones.